Monday, September 30, 2013

Happy Birthday, Sis!


Modupe: Hellohello..Ife, Ifedun,

(MTN network fluctuating and breaking as usual)

Modupe: This is Modupe. I am at a garage or bus stop somewhere called Nataco.

Me: Hi Modupe, welcomehello, helloooooo

Modupe: Hellooh God! O ma wa ga fun network Lokoja yi ke!

Modupe: Can you hear me now?

Me: I can hear you now, Modupe. Thank God for journey mercy. Please just wait there. I will send my brother to come pick you up to Hotel Pacific at Ganaja junction.

Modupe: Okay Ife but I really can find my wayI don’t think you need to bother.

(Fast forward 17 minutes after)

Modupe: Hello Ifedun, can you hear me? I’m at Hotel Pacific now. How do I proceed?

Me: Oh my God, Dupe. You are the best. Just ask the receptionist for the key to your room. My brother Tayo, will come and attend to you immediately.


========================================================================
Happy Birthday Modupe Atoyebi


That was my conversation with Modupe Atoyebi at about some minutes past 8PM on the 22nd of March 2013. After the conversation I couldn’t even see her because I was already tired from the event of that day, my traditional wedding ceremony and the combination of the events leading up to that.

I was in the safe and restful confines of my hotel room. And then I got a call from my hotel Reception;

Receptionist: Hello Madam, you have four ladies to see you: Toyin, Shola, Kemi & Modupe.

Me: Oh, please let them in right away. Thank you.

Toyin, Modupe with Demilade, Kemi & Shola 

As they came in, I was very happy to see them all most especially, Modupe. Why Modupe? Is she more special than my other friends who left their jobs, homes and families to honour me, you may wonder?

No and Yes.

NO, because I was happy and overwhelmed with the turn out of my friends from all over the country and beyond for my wedding. I love and appreciate them than they can understand. They will forever hold a special place in my heart. But most if not all these people, are my friends from yesteryears, from home, secondary school, university, youth service, places of work (past & present) and all around. We grew up and went through things together, celebrated events together when convenient and otherwise, we have been there for one another.

And YES, because even though Modupe is a friend like a sister to me today, I met her through the social network (Facebook) a few years ago on the page of my BFF (Best Friend forever) Adebimpe Omoba like my social media big brother, Adedayo Ajiboye. She has since then proved to be like my childhood friend. We talk about issues of life as they affect and influence us.We have met in person, conferencing with our Big- Black-Burnt-Offering-Brother, Deeone to have fun and share happiness. She has caused us severe heartaches during the numerous Boko Haram attacks in the northern part of Nigeria as we constantly worry  about and pray for her when there was any attack and we couldn’t get through to her and her family to know about her wellbeing. She has been a friend and a sister with her lovely and beautiful children. She has been very supportive and affectionate and above all full of pleasant surprises.

So I was literally overwhelmed with emotions of joy and honour when she showed up in Lokoja for my Traditional & Church wedding ceremonies in March 2013 after a grueling 12hours journey from Kano with a nine month old baby girl and her bags and during the panic in Kano after the inhumane bombing and killing of several hundreds of people the week before, after I told her not to bother because of the security risk at the moment. But she risked it all to honour me and my groom with her presence even when my RSVP has been filled with well crafted excuses from seemingly closer friends.

Kemi Oyeniyi, Modupe with her baby Oluwademilade & Toyin Ayoade at my Wedding Reception 

So to my Special friend Modupe, as the good Lord adds another year to you today, I pray He fulfills all your beautiful heart desires, that He blesses you indeed beyond what your mind can conceive. I pray He shows up always for you in time of your utmost need of help. I pray He makes your life more beautiful till the end of time. And I pray He causes you to enjoy the fruits of your labour with long life in affluence and great health.

Happy Birthday, Darling!!!

Enjoy your day.

You totally deserve it.

Yours truly,



3 comments:

  1. OMG!!! am speechless
    thank you sweet ife, thank you
    *tears*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is heart deep. I must confess that during our high school days, I never perceived Modupe's large heart until the social media days. She such a wonderful sweet lady that deserve all the best things of life. She so compassionate (Even though we haven't seen in almost 15yrs, yet u can perceive it miles away thru our online interaction), never seen her angered nor malicious. She such an angel. When I heard she was at Lokoja for the wedding, I was close to tears as I was on the phone with her, then I thut to myself, "How could u! How could u not have flown all the way to Nigeria for this wedding.... See what Modupe has done". Am grateful I know u Modupe, u r ve d largest heart ever and we love u dearly. I pray that God grants all ur heart desires and give u d grace to llive up ur life as always. Happy birthday Dupe kekere..lol

    ReplyDelete